Saturday 26 May 2007

Starbuck's Gluten Free Sandwich - a review


A few weeks ago whilst in Starbucks I was excited (and a little surprised) to see that they have started to run a small line of gluten free sandwiches. When I say 'small line' I really mean that, one choice only - free range egg mayo. But, you know how it is, when you are so restricted with eating out, these little things get you all excited. I took note and promised myself I would road test it and write a review, and so here it is.

Starbucks Free range egg mayonnaise sandwich. Described quite poetically as 'Free range egg mayonnaise, with rocket and vine ripened tomatoes, seasoned with cracked black pepper on gluten free bread'. Interesting.

Remember, I had been anticipating this moment for three long weeks. I had waxed lyrical about how wonderfully forward thinking Starbucks were for thinking of the Gluten intolerant. Quite frankly I was ready to touch the hem of the garment of whomever had decided to put this on the market. I carefully unwrapped it (because at this point it looked quite appetising (this is before I had picked it up, for it to fall apart in my hands... ) The bread was just awful, I mean, really awful. Basically it was like rye bread in texture or the very worst pre-packed gluten free bread that you have ever bought. I chewed, and I chewed, and I chewed - but was almost too scared to swallow. It was dryer than a grassy field in West Texas. To add insult to injury, there was a mean amount of egg mayo in it - it's only saving grace, were the rocket for flavour and the tomato. Thank God for the tomato, because the juice in it helped me swallow the damned thing. Two hockey pucks would have been more appealing that the two slices of 'bread' that they used for this. Cake. I hate bread that tastes like grandma's dried up cake.

For the 'pleasure' of eating this they charged me £3.45, if I had taken it away, £2.95. Verdict - bloody awful. On the plus side, they were playing Jeff Buckley's version of 'Hallelujah' as I ate it. Beautiful song - and the irony was not lost on me. I suspect they put that song on every time someone takes one of these things off their hands.

3 comments:

Mom Cooks Gluten Free said...

This is terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard they have a pre-packaged gf orange cake being offered next month! :-)

Celiac Ginger Kid said...

I just literally finished eating one of the Valencia Orange Cakes... VERY GOOD. Super moist and I would recomend it!!!

Anonymous said...

All I ask is for just one bite....I think the Starbucks sandwhiches are great...because I have coeliac too and its a treat and absoulte delight to be able to rarely get a snadwhich whilst out and about!!
But as I said a rare treat...Starbucks introduced it but yet hardly ever seem to have them instead. I have been to quite a few different cafes and they haven't had even a gluten free cake!!!