Tuesday 29 May 2007

Bread rolls




Anyone else get fed up with trying recipes that just didn't seem to deliver their promises? If I follow a bread recipe, I expect the result to resemble exactly that - bread. Not a cobble stone. Knowing how easy it is to get great results made me a little more miffed about my disgusting Starbuck's sandwich ordeal. Blech!

No need for bread machines for this, it is all done by hand. The results were pretty damned good. This is the problem with this blog, I find that I 'test' the results ofthe recipes a little too much. Three bread rolls later and my taste buds were screaming Yes! Yes! Yes!

Remember, the ammount of milk and water added will vary slightly depending on the flour mix that you use. I use the fine grade flour mixes (Glutano) which is much more powdery that Rice flour for example. As a result I keep an extra 4 fluid ounces of milk and water and add as necessary. You will know when it is right, the dough/batter should be thick and smooth in consistancy.


Serve these with soups, great for sandwiches as they are so moist. Or, spread with salted butter and eat them fresh from the oven. Which is what I did - and accidently ate three before I realised.....

This recipe makes 12 medium sized rolls:


Bread rolls

24 ounces of fine grade GF flour (I use Glutano)
3 x 5ml teaspoons of easy blend yeast
1/2 pint of semi skimmed milk
4 fluid ounces of boiling water
2 ounces of salted butter, melted
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten


Mix together flour and yeast until evenly combined

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until you have a thick smooth batter/dough

Spray a sheet of clingfilm with vegetable oil and cover the bowl with it.

Leave to prove for an hour or so, in a warm place, until the mixture has risen close to the top of your bowl.

Remove the cling film and mix the dough with a fork lightly.

Spoon out bap sized dough balls into your floured hands and lightly form into a bread roll shape.

Place rolls on a lightly greased baking tray (again I use spray oil) Once again, cover with a spray oiled sheet of cling film. Leave to prove in a warm place for 25 minutes or so.

Take a large roasting tin and half fill it with water, put this on the very bottom of the oven (literally on the bottom) The steam from this will bake the rolls and retain their fluffy moistness.

Cook the rolls on 190 degrees C/ 350 f/ Gas Mark 5 for 15 minutes until golden. If you need an extra 5 or so minutes to brown them off, they can take it and it won't dry them out.


Serve as you please, wth soup or in the lunchbox. They are beautifully soft - dare I say better than the real thing?


Why yes, yes I can.






No comments: