My sister made some delicious scones at the weekend. This inspired me to make a gluten free version with a little twist. I introduce, fruit scones with added fruit yogurt. Why mix plain yogurt when there are so many tasty varieties waiting to be tested in scone mixture? I used black cherry in this recipe, but you can swap this for any fruit - dried apricots with apricot or peach yogurt, spiced apple with apple yogurt, dried pinapple with tropical fruit yogurt....... you get the picture. There are so many combinations to try. For savoury, just switch back to the plain yogurt and add your cheese or bacon bits to the dough. Enjoy!
12 oz GF flour mix
4 tsp xanthan gum powder
a good couple of pinches of sea salt
4 tablespoons of brown sugar
4 oz of butter
4 oz mixed, dried fruit
2 large eggs
4 fl oz of black cherry yogurt
1 Preheat the oven to 190 o C/375 f/ gas mark 5
2. Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
3. Rub in the butter so that the mix resembles fine bread crumbs
4. With a wooden spoon, stir in the dried fruit
5. Whisk together eggs and yogurt
6. Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the yogurt and egg
7. Turn out onto a floured surface and lightly kneed until the dough comes together and is smooth in texture.
8. Roll the dough out so that it is 1 1/2 inches thick, cut out with cookie or scone cutter.
9. Place on a floured baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or so, or until brown and slightly risen.
Lovely buttered with a dollop of jam, a little clotted cream and a nice, hot cup of tea.